Your competitive advantage is our track record in successfully delivering end-to-end big data solutions to large Financial institutions, across their multiple lines of businesses.
Advise on best practices for establishing proper governance including separation of duties between enterprise governance office, lines of business, data stewardship / custodian & information technology.
Architecture & Design
Design the customer’s enterprise big data platform (Enterprise Data Lake – EDL, or Master Data Hub – MDH), including hardware and software optimization. Conform to customer’s own standards & tools while leveraging First North’s own Intelligent Platform (FNIP).
Source Data Ingestion
Using a variety of processes and tools including commercial ETL (i.e. DataStage, Talend, Red Point) and opensource (i.e. kafca, spark, python) to ingest massive amounts of data from many source systems including, RDBMS, Mainframe EBCIDIC, AS400, SAS datasets, XML and unstructured data from standard and non-standard media.
Integration & Migration
Ensuring data quality, including data lineage requirements (i.e. OSFI compliance) so that our customers’ business users have direct access to accurate & timely data. Support the development of new interfaces where customer applications and systems are affected (e.g. GL, HR, Insurance Claims & Commissions, Customer Book of Records, Compliance and Information Security).
Reporting & Analytics
End user reporting via traditional reporting applications (i.e. MS Excel, Cognos, OBI), or using new technologies for executing predictive and prescriptive analytics, such as Hadoop, Tableau and Datameer.
Conduct formal training programs with end business users and information technology personnel. This enables non-disruptive transition of knowledge and capabilities to customer’s own personnel.
D&A Success Stories
First North has delivered successful D&A engagements for some of Canada’s largest Financial institutions, across business lines.
Some of our data solutions include:
Canadian Bank – Big Data Migrations
For their Enterprise Information Management division, successful migration (Phases 1 & 2) of data from multiple sources including Wealth Management, Finance, Risk Management, Insurance and Capital Markets. Customer references includes testimonial of 10M in savings to the Bank for the project, as well as, enhanced information security design provided by First North (Compliance Certification).
Global Investment Management Company
Designed and successfully delivered to the cloud, a user reporting platform for the firm’s finance department and executive management. Ingestion of the complete customer investment books of records, data vetting & calculations, and reporting on customer profitability metrics (i.e. AUA) for 70 institutional customers.
Don’t let the data lake become the data swamp. We ensure that our customers receive ROI and properly mitigate their delivery risk for big data solutions.
Canadian Insurance Companies
Both Bank owned and independent Insurance companies, include;
- Design, implement and support the process flow to merge quotes and policies for the merged insurance companies
- Develop the on-demand Commission Statement capability for use by Insurance Agents across the country
- Assist in design of Master Data Hub (MDH) to host all merged company’s data and link all their legacy source systems
- Re-design the audit reporting system for Insurance contact and deliver digital logging for audit purposes
- Design the architecture and support delivery for paperless claims processing following acquisition of claims system
Canadian Bank – Customized User Training
Have trained over 500 users in Toronto and New York with the focus on end to end automation and business process improvement. Training conducted for Finance, IT, HR, and Operations personnel includes DataStage ETL, Python, MS Excel, Tableau and Datameer.
Canadian Bank – HR Business Transformation
Working with the Bank’s personnel, completed the successful delivery of their end to end data & analytics platform, including;
- Initial Proof of Concept
- Migration of entire Learning DataMart to EDL (Enterprise Data Lake)
- Complete build for employee recruitment and demographic data in EDL for transformation of 800 business reports
- Address data security for EDL (“in motion and at rest”)
- Implemented best practices for Hadoop and DataStage COE (Centre of Excellence)
- Integration with data lineage for satisfying compliance requirements of data governance office
- End User Reporting (IIROC reports)
- User Analytics Enablement (predictive & prescriptive on EDL)
- Linkage to internal Bank’s website for all business users
Canadian Bank – Finance & Technology
Delivery of several data migrations and new applications using MS BI Stack, as well as, supporting enterprise data governance initiatives;
- Successfully managed the migration of 9400 mainstream SharePoint Sites with 8TB data to SharePoint online, including for the Bank’s Wealth Management Division
- Re-design, implement & support Enterprise Project Forecasting application (900 users / 3B in project financials)
- Completed successful data migrations for Global Asset Management and Direct Investing divisions
- Design end to end data lineage (OSFI Compliant) using InfoSphere Governance Catalog (IGC) for all lines of business
- Design end to end reporting solution for Retail Credit Risk Reporting (RCRR)